Join Action for Children in the interesting and important work underway on behalf of children and families in Central Ohio!
The Director of Finance has the primary responsibility for providing comprehensive oversight to the agency’s fiscal operations. Reporting to and working closely with the CEO, the Director of Finance will also partner with the senior leadership team and board of directors to develop and implement strategies across the organization. This hands-on position supervises a staff of 1-2 individuals to ensure timely and accurate attention to cash management, budgeting, payroll processing, accounts receivable and payable and general external reporting activities.
- Work closely with CEO to create vision and oversee implementation of all long-range financial matters
- Supervise 1-2 person accounting staff
- Engage as working supervisor – has primary accountability for some pieces of work and overall (supervisory) accountability for all financial operations
- Coordinate budgeting process: Prepare budgets, periodic revisions, collecting, analyzing and consolidating financial data
- Document, manage and maintain policies, procedures and systems (based on GAAP) for all accounting functions such as accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll
- Track program expenses according to grant or funder
- Prepare timely and accurate financial statements and accompanying reports on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Ensure completion and timely filing of required local, state and federal returns and legal documents
- Establish, monitor and enforce internal controls
- Guide financial decisions by establishing, communicating, monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures
- Work with Board’s Finance Committee
- Deliver easily understood presentations to the Finance Committee and the Board that accurately convey financial performance
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds, as needed
- Serve as primary risk manager for the organization
- Monitor and confirm financial condition by conducting internal audits, leading communication with external auditors to prepare annual audit and form 990
- Actively participate as a member of the leadership team
- BA/BS required in Accounting or Finance
- CPA preferred
- 6+ years of relevant professional financial management and analysis experience
- Non-profit experience important, preferably in multiple funder environment
- Previous supervision experience
- Relationship management skills – with both internal & external parties
- Solid experience with compliance and reporting activities
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and deliver presentations to diverse audiences (Board members, community groups, etc.)
- Excellent organizational, oral and written communication skills with attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience with Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge or similar systems
- Comfort with technology systems and ability to work with IT staff to ensure efficient operations
- Experience supervising IT function a plus
- Proven ability to produce quality results within tight time frames while simultaneously managing several ongoing projects
How to Apply
Interested individuals should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to: Human Resources, Action for Children, 78 Jefferson Ave., Columbus, OH 43215 or firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Please note, the selected candidate will be required to submit to our background and reference checking process. Action for Children is an equal opportunity employer.
Volunteer for Action for Children
We offer volunteer opportunities during office hours, Monday through Friday, as well as special events during office or non-office hours. Opportunities range from using your office and computer skills to assist our staff or working with staff on short-term special events, projects, and fundraising.
For more information about volunteer opportunities available at Action for Children, please send an email to email@example.com.
Internships at Action for Children
We welcome college interns from around the State of Ohio. We offer a variety of hands-on professional experiences in an environment that encourages your personal and professional development.
For more information about internships at AFC, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.